Banana butterscotch chip muffins
It's been a while since I baked anything with bananas .....
I seldom buy it as I'm the only one who's going to eat it all tsk tsk
Bananas here are cheap especially at the market , a bunch ( about 5-7 pieces ) for 5 bucks ....
It's my first time to try Dole bananas , I usually buy Del Monte but if I get to choose between the two , it'll be Dole ....
Come to think of it , I love Dole canned pineapple compare to Del Monte which I find a little bit mushy -__-
But it's neither here nor there , let's go back to banana muffins lol
Instead of using chocolate in this muffins I used my remaining butterscotch chip and I like this combo more ; I also reduced the sugar as both the bananas and the chips are already sweet and let's not forget the sweet crumb topping !
If you like you may omit the crumb topping but I like the crunchy texture of it in contrast to the soft almost cupcakey texture of the muffin .
Makes 10 standard-sized muffins
1/2 stick / 4 tablespoon / 56 grams unsalted butter , softened
1/2 cup sugar ( I used 1/4 cup )
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chunks ( butterscotch chips )
2 perfectly ripe to overripe medium-sized bananas , cut into 1-inch chunks ( smaller is way better )
10 tablespoon **crumb mix
** Crumb mix : Makes about 1 1/2 cups , enough for 2 to 3 batches of muffins
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter , cubed
* Mix the dry ingredients with the butter by hand until mixture is pea-sized ; the mix can be stored in the fridge for a couple of weeks .
* Preheat oven to 190°C ; lightly grease muffin tins or use paper muffin cups .
* In an electric mixer on medium speed , cream together the butter , sugar and vanilla .
* Sift the remaining dry ingredients together in bowl .
* Add egg to the butter mixture and blend until combined .
* Add 1/4 cup of the sour cream to the butter mixture , then half of the dry ingredients , mixing and repeating with the remaining sour cream and then the remaining dry ingredients until the batter is combined . Be sure to end with the dry ingredients .
* Fold in the choco chunks and bananas until evenly mixed .
* Spoon batter into muffin tins , leaving room on the top for the Crumb Mix ; top each muffins with 1 tbsp of the crumb mix . Bake for 25 to 33 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean .