As promised , to thyself .
Hey , I haven't had a homemade deep-fried chicken wings in nearly a year lol
Making the Karaage was just a start .
I'm thinking of making Japanese , Korean and Thai fried chicken in the near future .
Clogged arteries ahead !
Some Vietnamese fried chicken wings that you can find online has some kind of glaze - delicious , sticky glaze but the ones I have here are just plain ol' fried chicken with big flavor ! Even the chicken bones tastes flavorful - I kid you not !
You just need to marinate the mixture overnight to get that wonderful flavor I've been
The chicken is crunchy while it's still warm , so better eat it all before it gets cold !
The recipe comes with the ginger sauce for dipping but I've forgotten to print it before I returned the book to the library . Instead I served it with lime and my DIY spicy sauce that consists of soy sauce , lime juice , homemade chili sauce , ginger , garlic and spring onion .
Recipe adapted from The Songs of Sapa : Stories and recipes from Vietnam by Luke Nguyen
My modification in green
1 kg chicken wings , wing tips discarded 820 grams/19 pieces mid-joint wings
1 large clove garlic , finely chopped 2 tablespoons
1/4 small onion , finely chopped 85 grams shallots
15 grams finely chopped lemongrass
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/3 cup fish sauce 4 1/2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar 1 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar
juice of 1 lime
1 cup plain flour 3/4 cup
1 cup rice flour 3/4 cup
vegetable oil , for deep-frying
* Wash chicken wings in water with a little bit of salt added , rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper/towel .
* Combine garlic , onion , pepper , five-spice , lemongrass , fish sauce and raw sugar , add in chicken wings and use hands to mix everything together . Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or better overnight , if you have time . 2 hours before I cooked the wings , I added the lime juice to the chicken mixture .
* Just before cooking , shake excess marinade off wings . Mix plain and rice flour together , then one piece at a time , coat wings in flour mixture , shake off excess flour .
* Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat , to test whether the oil is ready , drop a sprig of any green herb and when it sizzles , you can start frying .
* Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan , fry wings for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through . Serve fried chicken wings , hot or warm , with some chili sauce that you prefer .