Japchae / Chap Chae
Sort of !
I don't have the sweet potato noodles called dangmyeon ^-^''
I nearly bought it few days ago but I find it a little bit steep for a pack of noodles heh !
Good thing though that using vermicelli ( made from mung beans ) is still good enough and very cheap !
Japchae / chap chae is a Korean dish made from sweet potato noodles and stir fried with various vegetables and sometimes with beef .
I'll call this version , the not-so authentic Japchae -___-
So I'm eating my way through Asia ! Last time , I'm in Indonesia with the scrumptious Nasi Goreng !
Now , I'm in Korea ! Is that Jang Keun-suk ! lol
225 grams rump or sirloin steak
115 grams cellophane noodles , soaked for 20 minutes in hot water
4 Chinese dried mushrooms , soaked for 30 minutes in warm water , then sliced
oil for stir frying
2 eggs , separated
1 carrot , cut into matchsticks
1 onion , sliced
2 courgettes or 1/2 cucumber , cut into sticks
1/2 red pepper , seeded and cut into strips
4 button mushrooms , sliced
1 12/ cups beansprouts , washed and drained
1 tbsp light soy sauce
salt and ground black pepper
sliced spring onions and sesame seeds , to garnish
* Put the steak into freezer until it is firm enough to cut into thin slices .
* Marinate beef in 1 tbsp sugar , 2 tbsp light soy , 3 tbsp sesame oil , 4 finely chopped spring onions , 1 crushed garlic and 2 tsp toasted sesame .
* Drain noodles and cook them in boiling water for 5 minutes ; drain , then snip into short lengths .
* Prepare the garnish ; heat oil in a small frying pan ; beat the yolks and pour into pan , when set , transfer to a plate ; cook the whites in the same way ; let cool then cut into diamond shapes and set aside .
* Drain the beef ; heat oil in a wok or a large pan ; stir fry beef until it changes color ; add carrot and onion , stir fry for 2 minutes ; then add in the other veggies , tossing just until cooked .
* Add noodles and season with soy sauce , salt and pepper ; cook for a minute , spoon into a serving dish , garnish with eggs , spring onion and sesame .
** I used thinly sliced beef .
** I soaked the vermicelli in boiling water for 15 minutes , rinse and drain thoroughly , then added it after the veggies .
** Omitted the button mushrooms and the beansprouts .