1 large egg
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 T unsalted butter , cut into small pieces , chilled ( I used a combination of salted and unsalted )
3/4 cup moist , plump currants ( I used nearly a cup of cheddar cheese , cut into small cubes )
* Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C . Line baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat .
* Stir the egg and cream together .
* Whisk flour , baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and using your fingers , toss to coat pieces of butter with flour. Quickly working with your fingertips or pastry blender , cut and rub the butter into dry ingredients until mixture is pebbly .
* Pour the egg and cream over dry ingredients and stir with a fork until the dough , which will be wet and sticky , comes together . Stir in currants . Still in the bowl , gently knead the dough by hand or turn it with a rubber spatula 8 to 10 times .
* Lightly dust the work surface with flour , and turn out the dough . Divide it in half . Working with one piece at a time , pat the dough into a rough circle that's about 5 inches in diameter , cut into 6 wedges and bake for 20- 22 minutes or until tops are golden and firmish .