140 grams caster sugar
6 eggs , at room temperature , separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50 grams butter
250 grams cream cheese
100 ml fresh milk
60 grams cake flour
20 grams cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
* Preheat oven to 160°C . Grease the 8-inch springform/loose bottom pan and line with parchment paper at the bottom and at the side , make sure to extend about 1.5 inches of the parchment paper at the side so that it's higher than the pan .
* Melt the cream cheese , butter and milk over a pan of barely simmering water . Cool the mixture .
* Fold in the flour , cornstarch , salt and yolks to the cream cheese mixture and strain to remove any lumps . Set aside .
* Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy then add in sugar gradually until soft peaks form .
* Add in the strained cream cheese mixture to the whisked egg whites , fold in gently until well combined .
* Pour into the prepared pan and bake in a water bath for an hour and 10 minutes or until set .
* Leave to cool in the oven with door partially ajar about 30 mintues to an hour .
--- Tenting the top of the cake prevents over browning .
Just don't mind those small craters heh !
The first time