All purpose muffins
Makes 12 standard-size muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour ( spoon into a dry measure cup and level off )
1 T baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 T ( 1 stick / 113 grams ) unsalted butter , melted and slightly cooled
1 large egg
1 cup milk
Other ingredients as per variations below :
Blueberry muffins : Add 1 tsp grated lemon zest to the liquids . After mixing the batter , fold in 1 1 /2 cups rinsed , dried and picked-over blueberries . Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with 2 T sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon right before baking .
Chocolate chip muffins : Add 2 tsp vanilla extract to the liquids . After mixing the batter , fold in 1 cup milk , semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips. . Sprinkle the tops of the muffins before baking with 2 T unflavored sugar .
Old-fashioned jam muffins : Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest to the liquids ; half fill the cavities in the muffin pans and drop 1 ( measuring ) teaspoon of your favorite jam or preserves in the centrer of the batter ; add the rest of the batter , being careful to cover the jam completely ( I didn't heh! )
How to :
* Preheat oven to 190°C .
* In a medium bowl , mix the flour , sugar , salt & baking powder ; set aside.
* Pour the butter into a mixing bowl and thoroughly whisk in the egg; then whisk in the milk .
* Whisk about 1/3 of the flour mixture into the liquid until liquid is absorbed . Whisk in another third, again until the liquid is absorbed . Use a rubber spatula to fold in the last of the flour mixture .
* Gently fold in any enhancements to the batter and distribute the batter into the muffin pan .
* Bake muffins until they are well risen and golden and the point of the knife inserted in the center of one emerges dry , about 20 mintues .
* Cool the muffins in the pan on a rack and lift them out only after they have cooled completely .
Some baked muffins few months past :D
Mocha chunk muffins