Banana-green tea muffins
Somewhere in other parts of the world , people are in a tizzy over their Thanksgiving spread .....
Meanwhile , somewhere in Hongkong ......
This is my to-go banana muffin recipe whenever bananas are on sale at the supermarket . I seldom buy this fruit for eating , I like banana just fine but eating it for 3 days straight is not my cup of tea .
As with most Nigella's recipes , this one is a keeper . I've tried substituting the original cocoa powder with Milo ( I added 50 grams but the flavour was muted ) and so far , my favourite is the green tea version . As you can see from the photos , muffins look really tall which I really like , just like the ones they're selling in some bakeries here . But unlike most store-bought muffins , this version is wonderfully-soft and full of green tea flavour .
As with most muffin recipe , don't over mix the batter . I found that sifting the dry ingredients into the the wet resulted in less lumpy batter . I'm using a table top oven , so I can only bake 1 pan / 6 muffins at a time resulting in not so uniform muffins . I used 2 sizes of liners and the muffins baked in taller liners tend to look better ( see photo below , first 6 one from the top ) .
Please check original @ Nigella
Makes about 15 muffins
225 grams all-purpose flour
15 grams green tea powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
400 grams ( peeled weight ) ripe or overripe bananas , mashed plus extra for topping ( optional )
100 grams ( rice bran ) oil
125 grams light brown sugar
2 large eggs , at room temperature
demerara or crystal sugar for topping , optional
* Preheat oven to 200ºC .
* Line muffin pan with liners , set aside .
* Combine flour , green tea powder and baking soda in a small mixing bowl , set aside .
* Combine bananas , oil and sugar in a large bowl and use whisk until well combined . Add in the eggs and whisk for about 1 minute . Sift in the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir until just combined .
* Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin pan , about three fourths full , top with some banana slices and sprinkle with crystal sugar , if using .
* Bake for 20 minutes or until bamboo skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean . Leave muffins for 10 minutes in the pan then take out and let cool completely on a wire rack .