Spicy chicken teriyaki rice
I've been decluttering the freezer lately to make way for a batch or two of homemade ice cream . Even though it's been raining on and off recently , the temperature is still rising and a stash of frozen desserts are a must .
So I found 3 pieces of boneless chicken legs under the rubble heh ! and decided to make another go at making teriyaki sauce .
Teriyaki is a cooking technique used in Japanese cuisine in which food is grilled and basted with a glaze of mirin , soy sauce and sugar ( Wiki ) . Nowadays , in some households , the fish or meat is mostly panfried rather than grilled . Panfrying is more convenient as most people don't have a charcoal grill at home .
This dish easy and simple dish to make with only few ingredients . I've tried several online recipes before but I think I found the one that I'll cook over and over again .
Whenever I have the urge to make chicken teriyaki , I usually paired it with sliced carrots and green beans , as you can see from the photo , the same way they served at Yoshinoya lol Taste wise , this homemade one taste way better than what you can have in some resto here .
Simple meal that you can make in a flash with a big flavour payoff !
Recipe adapted from washoku guide
Serves 1 greedy person
275 grams boneless ( skin on ) whole chicken legs
1/2 teaspoon cooking salt
2 tablespoons cooking sake
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
big bowl of cooked rice
Toppings : optional
sliced green beans
roasted sesame seeds
* Rinse and pat dry chicken thoroughly . Season with salt , if using frozen chicken , let sit for at least 30 minutes before using .
* Boil sliced green beans and carrots for 3 minutes , drain and rinse until cool , drain again .
* Combine together sake , mirin , soy sauce , sugar and chilli flakes , set aside .
* In a nonstick pan , over medium heat , add 1/2 teaspoon oil . When oil is hot , add chicken , skin side down first , fry for 6 minutes on each sides , depending on the thickness of the meat , or until golden brown . Wipe off any oil / liquid that comes out while frying .
* Add in the teriyaki sauce , let boil , cover the pan and simmer over low heat . Cook for 2 minutes , flipping the chicken after , then cook for another 2 minutes . After the last minute of cooking , add in the veggies and stir until heat through . Transfer chicken and vegetables on the plate . Turn heat to high and let teriyaki sauce thicken further , about few seconds .
* Slice chicken and place into a bowl with rice , add in the sliced veggies , spoon over some teriyaki sauce . Garnish with sliced egg , sesame seeds and sliced nori . Enjoy !