Nutella-chocolate cupcake with Nutella frosting
The weather here is getting warmer and it's time to cull out some of my winter stash of bread spreads . I bought this big jar of Nutella last year because it was on sale , yeah , I just can't resist a good bargain !
I tinkered with one of my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe , this is my to-go recipe whenever somebody here wants me to bake a cake . What I love about this fool-proof recipe from Cooks' Illustrated is how easy it is to make , no creaming and no heavy mixing and you only use a whisk to mix everything , so less things to wash afterwards .
I need to use up some of the Nutella so instead of bittersweet chocolate in the original recipe , in goes the chocolate-hazelnut spread . Initially , I was planning to use the same amount of chocolate , which is 84 grams but I tasted the mixture before chilling it and it tastes well , really chocolaty . That is well and good but I want more Nutella taste so I whisk in some more . Of course , I crossed my fingers that my substitutions will work and I won't list the tweaked recipe as " another failed experiment " . Surprisingly , it turned out pretty well with wonderful moist texture and the beautiful dome top !
Taste wise it was sinfully chocolaty but with only subtle Nutella taste , which is a big letdown , I think the taste is muted by the strong coffee that I used . Or maybe it needs more Nutella , perhaps 250 grams will be much better ?! Oh well ! The frosting tastes delightful though and will definitely use it again next time ! I'll update this post the next time I have the urge to bake cupcakes ......
Recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes via Pink Parsley , with some tweaks
150 grams Nutella
28 grams ( Valrhona ) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
3/4 cup hot coffee
117 grams bread flour
130 grams sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 eggs , at room temperature
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
* Preheat oven to 350°F . Line 12 cup ( 2 3/4 x 1-inch ) standard muffin pan with liners , set aside .
* Place Nutella and cocoa powder in a bowl and pour hot coffee over the mixture , whisk until smooth . Refrigerate for 20 minutes .
* Meanwhile , mix the flour , sugar , salt and baking soda , set aside .
* Whisk oil , eggs , vinegar and vanilla into the cooled chocolate mixture . Add in the flour mixture and whisk until smooth , the batter will be thin/runny .
* Divide batter evenly between muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean .
* Place pan on the wire rack and let cupcakes cool in the pan for 20 minutes . Transfer cupcakes into the wire rack and let them cool completely before frosting .
For the frosting : Please check original recipe @ Sweetapolita
80 grams salted butter
70 grams icing sugar
95 grams Nutella
45 grams bittersweet chocolate , melted and slightly cooled ( 15-20 minutes )
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* Place butter into the bowl and sift in the icing sugar . Beat together , starting on low speed first for few seconds then turn to medium speed until mixture is smooth , 2 minutes . Add in the Nutella , chocolate and vanilla , beat on medium speed for another 2 minutes . This frosting is enough for a dozen cupcake . Pipe or spread frosting onto the cooled cupcakes .