Sonia's melt-in-your-mouth pineapple tarts
Hi guys , it's Anne ! Remember me ?! lol
No , I'm not spending my time at the #OccupyMongkok rally . Heh !
Anyway , here's one fool-proof recipe . Sonia was not exaggerating about her melt-in-the-mouth pineapple tart ! I've made several batches of these last Chinese New Year and everybody loved it . I've been hankering over these tarts for weeks and even made the filling 4 days ago but just too lazy to bake until now ugh !
What I love about this recipe is the dough , it's really easy to handle and no matter how you manhandle it , the tart will still be buttery .
Now , making the pineapple filling is another matter . Of course , you can still buy it , baking supplies shops here are selling pineapple filling all-year round . The taste though , in my opinion , of the store-bought one is plasticky . But once you tried making the filling yourself , the second or the 10th time will be a breeze , just be on the lookout once the mixture boils .
Don't worry if I fall off the grid , again , next time , the weather here is ideal for lazing around hee hee !
Recipe adapted from Sonia / Nasi Lemak Lover
Makes 34 , 1 2/3 x 2/3-inch tarts ( 15 grams dough and 10 grams filling each )
175 grams salted butter , softened
70 grams condensed milk
1 large egg yolk
255 grams all-purpose flour
1 egg , beaten then strained . for glazing
* Place butter and condensed milk into a large bowl , beat over medium speed until light and fluffy . Add in the yolk and beat until just combined then add in the flour , mix until well combined .
* Preheat oven to 175°C .
* Weigh dough and filling , 10 grams filling and 15 grams dough . Flatten dough into circle , about 2 inches in diameter , place filling and roll dough to seal , place into the baking sheet . You can form it into a small ball , square or rectangle , use a pairing knife or a scraper to make a shallow cut ( crisscross pattern ? ) on top . Brush top with egg wash .
* Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until top is golden brown . Let cool in the pan before removing .
* If using a counter top oven , place baking sheet on the second highest rack when baking the tarts .
Pineapple filling :
Yield : 360 grams
1 pineapple / 985 grams peeled weight , puréed
150 grams granulated sugar , adjust accordingly
* Place puréed pineapple in a wok or a large pan and cook over medium-high heat , stirring from time to time ( mixture will splatter madly so put on the cover ) for 25 minutes . Once the mixture turns a bit dry , add in the sugar ( it will splatter again for few minutes ) and continue to cook for another 15 minutes , stirring from time to time or until mixture is thick .
* Transfer mixture into a bowl and let cool completely before using .