Ladurée's Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
I've been too lazy to blab er blog lately ....
Or should I say , nothing new to post since the food I've been cooking were the same ol same ol these last few days .
But as always , I've got loads of books here from the library , okay okay , most of it are ice cream books lol
That's just an excuse to make ice cream more likely . Hey , 'tis summer and who can resists some icy concoctions ? Not me !
I borrowed this Ladurée book few weeks ago and kept drooling over their macarons . Initially , I can't bear to look at their macs hahahahaha Now , don't smirk but I'm on my 7th feet less macs , so don't blame me pfffttttt hee hee I'm still gearing myself up for another macs session , hopefully with feet this time *fingers crossed* ^-^'' But for now it's another ice cream because that's the easiest and foolproof recipe in this book lol
Or maybe I should call this blog , ice cream central , uhm , just this summer ?
Glace au Chocolat Noir , recipe from Ladurée : Sucré the recipes
Makes 1 quart / 1 litre
200 grams chocolate , minimum 70% cocoa solids
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp /100 ml water
2 cups + 2 tbsp / 500 ml whole milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp / 120 grams sugar
* Using a knife , chop the chocolate on a cutting board . In a saucepan , bring the water and milk to a boil . Remove from heat .
* In a large bowl , whisk the yolks and sugar until slightly pale ; pour a third of the hot milk over the yolks and sugar mixture ( to temper the yolks ) . Stir together with a whisk and pour the whole mixture back into the saucepan .
* Cook over low heat , stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens . It should coat the spoon when ready ; if you run your finger down the back of the spoon , the custard should not run back into the line . Important : the custard should never come to a boil ; it should cook at a maximum of 185°F / 85° C .
* As soon as the custard has this consistency , remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate to stop the cooking . Pour into a large bowl and continue to stir for 5 minutes so that the custard stays smooth Refrigerate until chilled .
* Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions . Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight .