Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Spicy cheese crackers
I've never really thought of making crackers - how about you ?
Crackers is the recipe chosen by Lena , one of the Bake-Along hostess .....
The best thing about joining the gels in their bi-monthly recipe taste test is I can try those recipes that I won't usually thought of making .
Though I've missed loads of previous bakes due to time constraint okay , okay , pure laziness or sometimes brain-freeze but the gels are a nice lot . They'll continue to let you join in even though you're slacking from time to time lol
While I was making this , I remember Jeannie of Baking Diary said that her crackers were a tad too salty so I told myself to go easy on the salt ....
Go easy on the salt , my foot ! I've forgotten to add it altogether *sigh*
These crackers are crunchy but not that crispy , spicy ( which I love ) , not really cheesy ( need to add more cheese next time ) though lacking an oomph due to the lack of salt ...
That said , these cheese crackers pairs well with tuna-mayo spread and an ice-cold Coke zero ^___^
Recipe adapted from William's-Sonoma
2 cups all-purpose flour ( I sub 1/3 cup whole wheat flour )
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp grated dry jack cheese ( 50 grams mild cheddar )
1 tsp mustard seeds ( don't have this )
1 tbsp shortening , at room temperature ( I used lard )
1 tbsp cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream , more if needed
* To make the dough by hand : In a small bowl , combine flour , sugar , salt , cayenne pepper , paprika , mustard seeds and cheese . Using a pastry blender or 2 knives , cut in the shortening and butter until mixture forms a large coarse crumbs . Pour in the cream and mix with fork until a cohesive dough forms .
* Transfer dough to a clean work surface and gently squeeze it together . Press dough into a disk and wrap it in a plastic wrap and leave to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes or for up to an hour .
* Preheat oven to 350°F . Line baking sheets with parchment paper .
* Unwrap dough disk into the work surface , cut in half . Roll one half of the dough into a rectangle and as thin as possible without tearing the dough , dusting it with flour so as to prevent sticking . Cut into a desired shape . Transfer the dough into the baking sheet , repeat with the second half of the dough .
* Bake crackers for 12 minutes . Let cool and store crackers into an airtight container for up to 5 days .
This post is linked to the blog hop event , Bake- along , hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings , Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours .