Early last year , I've seen Sonia's gorgeous cupcakes and had been thinking at that time to bake some asap !
Several months later , I made some , at last !
Hey ! Better late than never , right ?
This is the first time that I baked chiffon cake and didn't really expect much ....
But sometimes , the baking gods are feeling generous and my chiffon looks like something that I can be proud of ! lol
These cupcakes are really good , not sweet , the way I like it and the filling , which I've added some strawberry jam , really go well with these cakes .
I was munching a cupcake and checking out some of the photos that I've taken and told myself , I think you've forgotten something .....
Guess what ?! lol
I made 9 1/2 cupcakes from this recipe , that one is my half
Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes , original recipe from Forbidden Garden via Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover , Thanks Sonia !
Makes 9 cupcakes
3 egg yolks
20 grams sugar
35 grams corn oil
60 grams milk
70 grams cake flour
3 egg whites
25 grams sugar
60 grams whipping cream ( I used 100 grams )
10 grams sugar ( 15 grams )
1 tsp custard powder
5 teaspoons strawberry jam
icing sugar for dusting
* Preheat oven to 170°C . Prepare liners.
* Whisk egg yolks and sugar until light in color ; add in the oil and milk , mix thoroughly . Sift in cake flour and stir well to combine , set aside .
* Beat egg whites until foamy , add sugar gradually and continue to beat until soft peak forms .
* Add 1/3 of the whites to the egg yolk mixture , fold gently . Fold in the rest of the whites , mix well to combine .
* Scoop batter onto the liners , about 3/4 full .
* Bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden .
* You can make this filling before you bake the cupcakes . Beat cream with sugar til firm and stiff , add in the custard powder , mix well . Chill in the fridge before using .
The cake will deflate as it cools down