Caramelized banana bread with browned butter glaze
Whenever I buy bananas , there are always some pieces left lurking on the table after few days and since nobody will touch it but me , either freeze the pathetic-looking pieces for smoothie or use them for baking . I already found my ideal banana bread , I like it cakey and sort of spongy , the Flour's Bakery recipe is the one I've been looking for a long time and I baked it 3 times last month alone . Because I can only eat so much banana bread using the same recipe I decided to try another one . I've seen this recipe from the Cooking Light magazine that I've borrowed few months ago and the caramelized bananas sounds very tempting .
The recipe is pretty straight-forward , caramelizing the bananas is one easy step to have this very satisfying and moriesh treat . My only problem with the mixture is some small lumpy flour that just wont dissolve , I had to pinch several lumpy pieces before baking tsk tsk ! Note that the banana mixture will still be warm after you finished mixing everything and I think that's normal in this recipe or maybe our kitchen at that time was way too hot !
When making the glaze , make sure to keep an eagle-eye on it , my browned butter glaze nearly turned out black butter glaze ugh ! If your saucepan is not thick enough , use low heat and less time in browning the butter .
This bread is very moist even straight from the fridge . If you don't like cakey and spongy kind of banana bread , you would love this recipe !
Please check original recipe @ Cooking Light
Makes one 8 x roughly 2-inch loaf and 2 mini-bundts
3 tablespoon / 42 grams unsalted butter , softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
350 grams ( peeled weight ) very ripe banana , sliced plus extra for topping
1/2 cup soured cream
3 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoon dark rum
2 large eggs ( 63 grams each )
9 oz / 252 grams / about 2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon / 14 grams unsalted butter , softened
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon half and half
* Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F . Grease a 9 x 3-inch loaf pan or an 8 x 3-inch loaf pan and 2 mini-bundt pans , set aside .
* Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat , add brown sugar and bananas . Cook for 4 minutes , stirring occasionally . remove from heat ; let cool for 10 minutes . Place banana mixture into a large bowl and beat at medium speed until smooth .
* Combine soured cream and the next 3 ingredients ( through eggs ) . Combine flour , baking soda and salt . Add flour mixture and soured cream mixture alternately to banana mixture , beginning and ending with flour mixture , beat a low speed just until combined . Pour mixture into the prepared pans and top with banana slices .
* Bake 35-40 minutes for the mini-bundts and 50 minutes to 1 hour for the loaf pan or until skewer inserted in the middle of the bread comes out with a bit of moist crumbs . Transfer to the wire rack , cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan ; let cool .
To make the glaze :
* In a small saucepan , cook butter until it starts to turn brown , depending on how thick is the saucepan , it'll take less than a minute so keep an eye on it . take pan off heat , sift in icing sugar and add in the half and half , whisk until mixture is smooth . Drizzle immediately over the cooled bread . let glaze set before slicing the bread .