What's not to love about this dish?!
Simple , fast and really satisfying !
One of my favorite stir fry noodle combination , udon and char siu . Easier than making gon chau ngau ho since udon has a firm texture .
I forbid myself from eating the rest of the leftover char siu ! 1 kg is not that much especially if you're eating rice during lunch and dinner . At least , there's only the two of us and somebody here didn't seem to like it much , so more for me , right ?! *evil laugh*
If you don't like a darker noodles , you can reduce the dark soy sauce . But lime juice and chilli sauce is a must for this dish !
I still have some char siu left for making char siu buns though it's really , really hard to keep my grubby hands off it ^___^ "
400 grams ( 2 packs ) instant udon noodles
200 grams ( homemade or store-bought ) char siu / Chinese-style barbecued pork
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced yellow bell pepper
1 small onion , sliced
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
5 stalks spring onions
a generous teaspoon chilli sauce
juice of half a lime or lemon
a dash of ground white pepper
1/2 cup pork broth or water
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon raw sugar or granulated sugar
* Cut char siu and spring onions into about 1 - 1/2-inch in length ; the sliced carrots and bell pepper should be about the same size .
* In a small bowl , mix the broth , dark and light soy sauce and sugar , set aside .
* In a large non-stick pan or wok , over medium heat , pour about 1 tablespoon oil , when oil is hot , add in onion and cook for 3 minutes . Add ginger , char siu and carrots , cook for a minute .Transfer mixture to a plate , set aside .
* In the same pan or wok ( be sure that the wok is really hot so that noodles won't stick ) , over medium-high heat , add in the noodles , stirring from time to time , cook for 4 minutes .
* Add in the char siu mixture and bell pepper to the pan and mix well . Pour in the broth mixture , stir well to combine , adjust taste . Cook noodles , stirring constantly until the liquid is nearly absorbed then add in the spring onions , chilli sauce and lime juice . Give another good stir , dish up and serve hot .