Chocolate - Cream Cheese Brownies
5 T unsalted butter , divided , plus extra for greasing the baking pan
4 ounces ( 112 grams ) semi-sweet chocolate , coarsely chopped ( I used bittersweet chocolate )
3 ounces ( 84 grams ) cream cheese
1 cup sugar , divided ( I reduced it to 3/4 cup )
3 large eggs , divided
1/2 cup plus 1 T all-purpose flour , divided , plus extra for flouring the baking pan
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract , divided
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
For the icing :
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate , coarsely chopped ( I used bittersweet chocolate )
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 1/2 tsps powdered instant coffee ( I used 1 1/2 T espresso powder )
* Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F . Generously butter an 8-inch square baking pan and dust it with flour . Shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside .
* Melt 3 T of the butter and the chocolate in a heavy , medium saucepan over very low heat , stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and creamy . Remove pan from heat and cool slightly .
* With the electric mixer on medium speed , cream the remaining 2 T of butter with cream cheese in a medium bowl . Gradually add 1/4 cup of tthe sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy . By hand , stir 1 egg , 1 T of the flour and 1/2 tsp of the vanilla . Mix to blend and set aside .
* With the electric mixer on medium speed , beat the remaining 2 eggs in a medium bowl until they are light and fluffy . Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until the mixture is thickened , about 1 minute . Remove and fold in remaining 1/2 cup of flour , baking powder and salt . Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture , the walnuts and the remaining 1 tsp of vanilla . Pour this batter into the pan .
* Drizzle the reserved cream cheese mixture over chocolate batter in the pan and use the spatula to swirl it into the chocolate batter to create a marbled effect . Bake brownies until tester comes out clean , about 30 minutes . Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature .
* To make the icing : Put the chocolate , cream and coffee in a heavy medium saucepan over very low heat . Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and creamy . Cool for 15 minutes . Use spatula to spread the icing over the top of the brownie s. Refrigerate until the icing is firm . Slice and serve .
Makes 16 brownies