Espresso Ice Cream
4 large egg yolks
6 T sugar
1/8 t kosher salt
1/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cups heavy ( whipping ) cream
1 T finely ground or instant espresso
* In a bowl , whisk together the egg yolks , 3 T of the sugar and salt .
* Combine the milk , cream , espresso and the remaining 3 T sugar in a heavy saucepan .
* Cook over medium heat , stirring occasionally , until almost simmering .
* Slowly pout the milk mixture in to the egg mixture , whisking as you pour .
* Return the misture to the saucepan . Cook over medium-low heat , stirring constantly with a heat-resistant plastic or wooden spatula , until custard reaches 175°F and lightly coats the spatula.
* Strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
* Cool over an ice bath until room temperature .
* Refrigerate the custard at least 4 hours or up to overnight .
* Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
Recipe adapted from Emily Luchetti