Been planning to go out to check the bakery near our flat , but it's freakin' 33° C :P , so instead I baked muffins :D lame :P . Recipe adapted from Baking by Carole Clements .
55 g butter
200 g plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
2 tbsps sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
125 ml milk ( I used single cream )
1 tsp dried thyme ( I used Italian seasoning )
55 g mature cheddar , cut into 1 cm cube ( I used 95 g , grated or add more , if desired )
2 pcs chicken sausage , diced , my own addition or add bacon
1. Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C . Grease muffin pan or use paper cases .
2. Melt butter & set aside .
3. In a mixing bowl , sift together the flour , baking powder , sugar , salt & paprika .
4. In another bowl , combine eggs, milk , melted butter & thyme then whisk to blend .
5. Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients & stir just until moistened ; do not overmix .
6. Place a heaped spoonful of butter into prepared pan . Drop a few pcs of cheese over each cup , then top again w/ spoonful of batter .
7. Bake until puffed & golden about 25 minutes . Let stand for 5 minutes before unmoulding onto a rack . Serve hot or at room temperature .